I’m not sure people realize how much joy comes from serving other people. My friend is having so much fun doing things for her future husband and this happens to be one of them! Happy birthday dinner! I for one love watching another couple taking on the responsibility of living happily ever after!
Ingredients: for casserole
- 1 whole cooked chicken, bones removed, meat diced or shredded (rotisserie chicken is excellent) 5-6 c
- 1/2 pound very thin sliced deli style honey ham, rough chopped
- 1/4 pound thin sliced baby Swiss cheese
Ingredients: for sauce
- 4 Tbl butter
- 4 Tbl flour
- 3 c whole milk
- 2 Tbl fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
Ingredients: for topping
- 1-1/2 c Panko bread crumbs
- 4 Tbl melted butter
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 tsp crushes dried parsley
Directions: preheat oven 350°F
- Butter a 9 x 13” pan
- Layer pan with shredded chicken, then top with sliced ham, then top with Swiss cheese
for the sauce:
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Quickly stir in flour to make a smooth mixture
- DO NOT BROWN
- Once smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in cold milk while stirring briskly to make a smooth sauce
- Cook over medium heat, stir constantly until thickens
- Stir in lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, paprika and white pepper
- Bring sauce back to low boil and turn off heat.
- Pour sauce over casserole – get sauce also around all edges
for the topping:
- Melt butter in microwave – 30 seconds at a time.
- Stir in panko bread crumbs, crushed dried parsley
- Sprinkle over the top of the casserole
- Dip chicken in egg and milk mixture, then toss with bread crumbs, coating well.
- Brown in a little oil until golden.
- Place chicken in a baking dish, add cheese and ham.
- Mix soup with 1 cup of milk and pour over all.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes, or until tender and bubbly and top is light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes